Navigation re-fresher course
Saturday, 5 Jun 2021
10:00am – 3:00pm
Need a re-fresh on using a map and compass? Want to know how to create the perfect family adventure without getting lost? Want some tips on how to navigate off a hill in the dark?
This navigation skills day is aimed at both walkers and runners who want to get out more and explore the fells and moorlands, who may be relying on other people, guidebooks, well-defined routes or their phone!
The course will consist of a mixture of classed-based exercises where you get familiar with maps followed by walks where you put your new skills into practise.
WildWays will supply maps and compasses on the day but feel free to bring your own if you have them. (OS Explorer OL1 1:25,000 The Peak District Dark Peak Area).
There will be an opportunity to purchase a map and compass on the day(transfer via PayPal) so you can take it away with you to plan your next adventure!
Why choose this course?
- Jargon free
- Fun and stress free
- Ideal for those who want a re-fresher or little knowledge in reading a map
- You’ll come away feeling more confident, ready to practice your new skills
- To make you more confident navigating paths and tracks, as well as short distances away from them.
- To allow you to devise and follow your own walking/ running routes.
We’ll be walking on tracks and paths.
Throughout the day we’ll aim to cover the following skills or techniques:
- Map scales, symbols, grid system and grid references
- Compass skills- taking a bearing and measuring distance
- Pacing and timing distances
- Simple navigational strategies
- Route planning
- Relocation techniques
- Access- where you can and can’t go
- Equipment selection
There will be a maximum ratio of 5 participants to 1 walking leader. This in within currently government guidelines and enables WildWays to tailor the course to your ability so that you can develop your skills swiftly and safely.
- £32 for individuals booking
Hathersage, S32 1DR