GeoWeek Walk: 330 million years of geological history around Castleton
Sunday, 9 May 2021
9:30am – 3:00pm
GeoWeek is an initiative that aims to promote ‘active geoscience’ via fieldwork activities taking place across the UK. So if you’re interested in learning about how the landscape around Castleton was formed, then this walk is ideal for you! No previous geography or geology knowledge required.
Approx. Length: 7miles/12km
Ascent: 2,260ft/ 680m
Dates: 9th May
Why choose this Walk?
- Ideal for beginners with a moderate level of fitness and interest in geoscience and geology
- The walk will take you on a tour of the Carboniferous Limestone with extensive reef built-ups, through to the Millstone Grit, ranging from marine shales through a variety of deltaic sandstones . We’ll also get up close to the well studied landslip of Mam Tor.
- The limestones are hosts to hydrothermal mineral deposits, which contain a unique variety of fluorspar called Blue John.
- Get to smell some oil on the top of Windy Knoll.
- Several caves are open to the public in the area, which are always worth a visit if you get chance.
Event CategoryOpen Walks
Event LocationCafe at the Visitor Center Car Park, Castleton
Castleton, Hope Valley, S33 8WN